Evil Surveys - Knowing Your Fans
We ran a survey recently in which we asked people who had purchased and / or downloaded our music to answer a few questions.
The purpose was to get to know our fanbase better, to try and understand how they had found us and what had motivated them to download and/or pay for our music. We also slipped in some questions to see where Spotify fits in with all of this. Here’s what we found out.
1) Where did you find out about us?
On a music blog: 32%
Music Industry or tech blog: 17%
From a Friend: 13%
Comment: We probably should have provided more choices here but we wanted to keep it simple. We think that a majority of the Others are Aaahh Records and other Creative Commons music related sites.
2) Was that via a social network, by email or in person?
Directly from the blog / website: 59%
In a real life conversation!: 11%
At a concert: 2%
Other social network: 2%
Comment: It’s interesting to note that no one discovered us on Facebook. Facebook is a great place to interact with people when you already know them, but it seems that it’s probably not a great discovery tool.
3. Did you listen to our music online before downloading it?
Comment: we didn’t ask if people thought they would have downloaded it without listening to it first. Perhaps we should have.
4. If so, where did you listen to our music before downloading it?
Our website (bandcamp): 81%
Music Blog: 8%
5. What made you decide to download the music?
I wanted to sample the music before buying a CD/Vinyl: 28%
I wanted to sample the music before paying for the MP3’s.: 22%
I wanted to own the music but couldn’t afford to pay for it: 22%
I don’t really know. I just clicked the buttons!: 19%
I wanted to own the music but I don’t think music is worth paying for: 4%
I wanted to write a review about your music: 3%
6. Do you have any idea how many times you have listened to our album(s)?
More than 5 times: 45%
2-5 times: 30%
More than 50 times: 15%
I have no idea: 3%
I didn’t even get past the first couple of songs, you guys suck! 0% (thankfully!)
7. What made you decide to pay for our music? (multiple responses ok)
(Only people who had made a purchase were asked this question)
I wanted to support the band: 100%
I wanted to own the music: 61%
I wanted to own a tangible version of the album (CD/Vinyl): 61%
8. Do you have a Spotify account?
Free Account: 31%
Unlimited Account (4.99): 2%
Premium Account (9.99): 2%
9. Do you have any suggestions for us?
1) Keep up the good work. :)
2) You guys are awesome! Suggestion: Come to America to tour :)
3) You guys are a pretty rad group and I really appreciate your enthusiasm at getting your music out there.
4) I didn’t recognize me in that survey : I discovered you with aaahh records. As I only listen to free music (ie under CC or Art Libre license), I download a lot, delete a lot too… and when I love an album I give some euros to the band or artist, but I can’t do that more than 4 or 5 times per month :-( … and it’s your time soon !! ;-)
5) Made me feel guilty that i haven’t paid so far:)
6) Put more songs into Rock Band, that’s where I first heard about you guys, the song was “roll over” and it made me check out more music by you guys!
7) Keep interacting with the fans just like you’re doing now!
8) stay as you are! your music is beautiful!!!!!!! :)
9)Keep product such a delightful music and come back to Paris!!! (Not at the International.)
10) it was me who filled out the wrong survey, i wrote that you’re great and that I bought the beautiful vinyl. sorry :) but you’re great!
11) congratulation ^_^
12) Keep up the good work! And thanks again for sending me the missing CD.Yes, I’m the annoying guy from Bordeaux. ;o)
13) Keep up the great work. I’ve turned some friends on to your music.
14) Keep making music
15) can you make more music! Love Storm eye and The black box.
16) Keep on rockin’ :)
17) I found you in Aaah Records
18) Keep doing that great work!
19) Keep on doing what you do! The pay what you want/can is a great example of creative ways to reduce piracy and still get paid for the music!
20) Just keep the good work! It is difficult to find really good music today and I was very pleased when I find your band.
21) give me cheese! some Roquefort would be good!
22) You are on Bandcamp (available worldwide) and were recommended by Frostclick. You are doing everything perfectly!
23) I usually dislike doing these surveys—but yours was short & to the point, so thank you.
24) Gregory and the Hawk
25) Keep it up mates!
26) Keep on, keeping on
28) You guys are awesome, keep up the good work!
29) keep making music!!!
30) Great work. I wish more people knew about bandcamp.com
31) Keep up the great work!!! Come to NYC or Brooklyn!!!
32) Keep up the good work.
33) Do a show in NYC
34) like it!
35) Keep making great music guys!
36) do more music
37) keep it up, everything sounds great
38) May be it does exist ? French translation for my who don’t speak English
39) Fuck the majors!
40) Keep up the great work…
41) keep the good job
42) you’re great! i bought the beautiful vinyl. hope to see you live soon..
43) keep going guys - you are doing an excellent work
44) Don’t send out too many stupid evil surveys.
45) You really don’t need any !
46) Keep communicating the way you guys are doing.
We’ll let you draw your own conclusions!